Notes and Transcripts from Tele-Lectures
TOPIC: Defenders Of The Sunnah By Abu Hakeem Bilaal Davis
Defenders Of The Sunnah By Abu Hakeem Bilaal Davis 4 years 11 months ago #55
Defenders Of The Sunnah
By Abu Hakeem Bilaal Davis (hafidhahullah)
As part of Muwahhideen Publication's Summer Conference 2014 entitled, "The Sunnah Is Like The Ark of Noah"
• Muhammad (sallAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam) advised his Ummah, carried out the trust upon him, removed the doubts and made the affair clear. He made jihaad in the way of Allah with the true jihaad, in all of its meanings. He left his Companions upon what is pure and white; its night is like its day and no one deviates from it except that he is destroyed. This is what they continued upon and when they heard of the coming of fitan, they prepared for that.
• They understood that the worst of the trials are those that take a person away from the Deen of Allah and instil doubt within the heart. The fitan that has occurred in this Ummah are of two main types: the fitnah of the shahawaat (desires) and the fitnah of the shuboohaat (doubts). The worst of them being the fitan of shuboohaat ,which are those things that cause you have doubt (particularly) about the usool of the Deen - those things Allah legislated that we should believe in and those things a person solidifies his heart upon.
• Ahlul ‘Ilm have mentioned regarding ‘Aqeedah that it is that which a person ties / bonds his heart upon. And all of his Deen is based upon this. Thus, the fundamental aspects of the religion are the most important affairs and anything that takes a person away from that is no doubt from the worst affairs that can come upon an individual.
• Ibraaheem (‘alayhis salaam) knowing the importance of this, asked Allah for an increase in that firm footing and solid belief when he said:
"My Lord! Show me how You give life to the dead." He (Allah) said: "Do you not believe?" He (Ibraaheem) said: "Of course (I believe), but to bring tranquillity to my heart." [Soorah al-Baqarah 2:260]
• Ahlus-Sunnah call to a return to the study of the ‘Aqeedah not because they are fanatical about ‘Aqeedah but because they understand that the foundation of a person’s Deen is that which is in his heart. His actions and his love and hate are based upon that, and if what is in his heart is weak, then his foundations in their origin are weak. And thus anything built upon that weak foundation will also be weak.
• Every action we perform has a connection to ‘Aqeedah. The scholars mention that there is a strong bond between the ‘Aqeedah and Sharee’ah. E.g. When you perform Salaah, you do so because you know it is the first thing you will be questioned about on Yawm-ul-Qiyaamah, you know that if Allah is pleased with your performance of the prayer, you will be rewarded. It is from the things that draw a person closer to Allah in the dunyaa and bring about the Ridhwaan of Allah in the Hereafter. You performed it because you knew it was waajib upon you - you are rewarded for performing it and punished for leaving it. You carry it out because you know within the masjid, there are angels and believers from the jinn who join you and perform that prayer in congregation. All of these affairs return back to ‘Aqeedah. If his ‘Aqeedah is weak concerning those issues, then he would not care about performing Salaah because the origin that that action is built upon is weak.
• We cannot afford to misunderstand the affairs of ‘Aqeedah and that which is built upon them from the subsidiary actions or not carry out the acts that are connected to them since Eemaan is belief in the heart, actions upon the limbs and statements of the tongue; it increases with obedience to Ar-Rahmaan and decreases with obedience to Shaytaan. And the origin of Eemaan is in the heart as Shaykh-ul-Islaam (rahimahullah) mentioned: The origin of Eemaan is in the heart and it is a statement of the heart and action of the heart.
• Since this is the case, then know that the glory Allah has given to the Ummah was given to it on the basis of the presence of certain things. And know that when those things disappear, that nobility also disappears and it is stripped from this Ummah. Allah says:
“Indeed you are the greatest nation sent forward from among mankind; you enjoin al-Ma'roof and forbid al-Munkar and you believe in Allah.” [Soorah Aali ‘Imraan 3:110]
• Allah mentions this affair of enjoining the good and forbidding the evil alongside the Eemaan that you have in Allah. So the Eemaan is the origin, the actions are built upon it and Allah coupled it with mentioning enjoining the good and forbidding the evil.
• It is a must that there are individuals who enjoin the good and forbid the evil within this Ummah. Allah says:
“We rescued those who forbade evil, but We seized those who did wrong with a severe torment because they used to rebel.” [Soorah al-A'raaf 7:165]
• He (Subhaanahu wa Ta’aa’aa) likewise informed us that nations were cursed and destroyed because evil was taking place in their presence but they allowed it to occur for fear of what the people would say concerning them.
"Those among the Children of Israel who disbelieved were cursed by the tongue of Daawood and 'Eesaa, son of Maryam. That was because they disobeyed (Allah and the Messengers) and were ever transgressing beyond bounds. They used not to forbid one another from the Munkar (wrong, evil¬doing, sins, polytheism, disbelief, etc.) which they committed. Vile indeed was what they used to do.” [Soorah al-Maa'idah 5:78-79]
• Enjoining the good and forbidding the evil is a characteristic that must exist among us and we must understand that the protection of this Ummah revolves around the presence of such individuals - those who enjoin the good and forbid the evil. So do not despise them because indeed, by way of their presence they preserve for us the might of this Ummah. And it is on the basis of the absence of such individuals from the Christians and Jews that they were destroyed because when they saw the people transgressing regarding ‘Aqeedah there was no one who prevented those evil actions from being performed. And if there was the presence of those individuals, their light was soon put out and they were despised and ostracised or killed.
• Imaam Ibn Katheer (rahimahullah) mentioned that after the ascent of ‘Eesaa Ibn Maryam the people split into three sects. One sect held that indeed, with us was the very son of Allah. A second group held that rather, with us was Allah Himself and the third held that actually with us was the Messenger of Allah. This group that was upon the correct ‘Aqeedah was referred to as the Yaaqoobiyyah. Because of the fact that they enjoined the good and forbade the evil and stood against this belief of theirs, the first two groups came together and fought against and killed the Yaaqoobiyyah.
From the characteristics of the those who enjoin the good and forbid the evil -
• They must be upon 'ilm and that ‘ilm they possess must be ‘ilm that is inherited from the mouths of those who inherited it (i.e. our ‘Ulamaa`). Those whom Allah has commanded us with: "So ask Ahl adh-Dhikr if you do not know." The correct understanding is only with them and the Salaf of this Ummah used to warn against the one who takes his knowledge from books, regardless of how impressive he may be or how good his ability to memorize is. ‘Ilm is not only memorized, it is to be understood and that understanding must be taken from the carriers of knowledge.
• Bravery/courage when it comes to defending the Deen of Allah. They stand firm and remain brave, understanding that the affair is greater than them themselves; and the affair is the Deen itself, the protection of the Deen of Allah. How can we be weak in such an affair? The one who enjoins the good and forbids the evil is a Mujaahid in the Path of Allah.
• Those who claim jihaad in Iraaq and Syria, their statement do not find its origin from any scholar from Ahlus-Sunnah. The origin, as it relates to any affair of the religion is that it must return back to ‘ilm. It must be something sanctioned by our scholars for it to be rewarded by Allah and it must be in accordance with His Deen.
• So it is ‘ajeeb that we should hear individuals making such statements when the jihaad they are able to carry out which does not require that level of courage and physical participation as jihaad on the battlefield requires, we see them having no participation in that. The jihaad that has in it the defence and protection of the Deen of Allah, there is no participation in that which will preserve for this Ummah the things that will bring to it the khayr that Allah has promised and would remove humiliation.
• There are those who return the removal of humiliation back to foiling the plots of the Yahood and Zionists and understanding the protocols of Zion, understanding the plans of the Illuminati and being acquainted with the various plans of the Western Nations. When in actuality, our state is in no one’s Hands but Allah.
• When will the Ummah understand the reality that “If Allah aids you there is none to overpower you”? As far as having to know the plots and the plans of the kuffaar, we find that the Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was unaware of the plots and plans of some of them.
“And among the bedouins round about you, some are hypocrites, and so are some among the people of al-Madeenah, they exaggerate and persist in hypocrisy, you (O Muhammad) know them not, We know them.” [Soorah at-Tawbah 9:101]
• Allah mentioned concerning the believers that “If you believe in Allah and fear Him, then their plots will not harm you in the least.” And “Allah will defend and protect those who believe.”
• Know that no one will defend the Deen of Allah in a manner that those who understand it and carry it out will defend it. How will we wait for the people of innovation to defend the Deen, the Sunnah and acts of worship when they do not understand them? And that element of the Deen that they do understand, they either differ concerning it or do not act upon it, except for the one Allah has mercy upon. How do we expect the defence of the Deen to come from them? How are we going to join hands with them and work beneath them when they are the ones we should be standing against? How are we going to defend the Sunnah when we are aided by them or possibly paid by them? Will this not restrict our tongues and prevent us from speaking Kalimat-ul-Haqq? And where is this from the actions of the Salaf of this Ummah?
• Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahimahullah) said: “Know that ad-Deen-ul ‘Ateeq (reference to the earliest affair; the sound religion) is that which existed from the death of the Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) to the killing of ‘Uthmaan. The killing of ‘Uthmaan Ibn 'Affaan is the first instance of splitting and division, so the Ummah was at war, one with another and the Ummah split and followed its desires and the thing that it craves and the Ummah leaned towards the dunyaa. There is no permission for anything to be innovated into the religion of Allah from the things that were not present in the time of the Companions of the Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Otherwise we would have nothing but a man that calls and follows the innovation of a man that came before him. Either he is following the Deen of Allah or he is innovating in the religion, or he is following the innovation of another innovator. The one who follows him is like the one who brought it about. Whoever then claims this or hold this position then he has rejected the Sunnah and he has opposed the truth and the Jamaa’ah and he has permitted innovation and he is more harmful upon this Ummah than Iblees.”
• He mentioned the death of the Messenger (sallAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam) because when the Messenger passed away the Deen was complete. Imaam Maalik (rahimahullah) said: “Whosoever innovates into the Deen of Allah then verily he has claimed that Muhammad has betrayed his trust. Read if you will the statement of Allah: ‘Today I have completed for you your religion and have perfected My Favour upon you and made Islaam a Deen for you.’”
• The one who is able to speak to you and convince you, bringing arguments and presenting what appears to be evidence is worse than Iblees because Iblees whispers to the breast of mankind and inspires them but as for arguing and debating with them, then he does not have the ability to do so. This is done at the hands of Ahlul Bid’ah - those who have the ability to address you and debate with you.
• Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahimahullah) further mentioned: “The one who knows what the people of innovation have left from the Sunnah and what they have split from the Sunnah in regards to, then hold on to him for he is a person of Sunnah and he is a person of Jamaa’ah. He has a right to be followed, to be protected and to be aided and he is from those whom the Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has advised us with.”
• The Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “This knowledge is carried in every generation by its trustworthy ones. They repel from it the distortions of those who go beyond bounds, the fabrications of those who lie and the false interpretations of the ignorant.”
• Ibn Mas’ood (radhiyAllahu 'anhu) narrated that the Messenger (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “There is no prophet that Allah sent to an Ummah before me except that they had aiders and companions holding on to his Sunnah and following his command. Then there came after them a latter generation, they say that which they do not do and they do what they were not commanded. So whoever fights against him with his hand, he is a believer and whoever fights against him with his tongue, he is a believer and whoever fights against him with his heart (i.e. he hates what comes from them from opposition to the Sunnah), he is a believer and after that there is not a mustard seed of Eemaan.”
• Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) categorizes the people as it relates to knowledge and knowing truth from falsehood into four categories:
• The first and best of them: The one who knows the haqq in detail and the baatil in detail.
• The second: The one who knows the haqq in detail but the baatil generally.
• The third: The one who knows the baatil in detail and the haqq generally - he dispraises this individual.
• The fourth: The one who does not know the baatil or the haqq - he is the worse of them.
• During the times of fitan, it is the first individual we must return to.
• There are numerous ahaadeeth where the Messenger commanded us with particular types of individuals whom we cling to. We understand that those who oppose the Sunnah and Usool of the religion, even though at face value what they are doing seems correct, these oppositions will bring about sour, bland fruits and their reality will be seen after some time.
• As occurs in the lines of poetry - “Indeed the days will make clear to you what you were ignorant of (in relation to individuals) and news will come to you from one you did not send out with provisions. And regardless of what a person possesses from characteristic even if he tries to hide it and it is hidden and obscure from the people, indeed you shall know.”
Click here to Download / Listen
Wa Billahi Tawfeeq
Wa SallAllahu wa Sallama wa Baarak 'alaa Nabiyyinaa Muhammad wa 'alaa 'Alyhi wa Sahbyhi wa Sallam
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by mpubs.org manager 2.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.978 seconds