Our Shaykh ‘AbdulQādir al-Junayd compiled an informative article on the one who has fasts to make up from the previous Ramaḍān yet delays that fasts until just before the start of the upcoming Ramaḍān. The Shaykh said, Indeed, the one who delays making up fasts from Ramaḍān until the next Ramaḍān falls under one of two situations.
The First Situation: That he delays it for a valid reason like a sickness which continued until the next Ramaḍān.
The Second Situation: That he delays making up the fast even though he was able to make up the previous fast before the approach of the next Ramaḍān. The Shaykh expounds fully on both scenarios.
This timely article written by Shaykh Badr Ibn Muhammad al-Badr (حفظهالله) is a compilation of important questions related to the legislative rulings of Zakaat al-Fitr which he presented to ash-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah Saalih Ibn Muhammad al-Luhaydaan (حفظهالله). This article was translated by our noble brother Abu Afnaan Muhammad Abdullah (حفظهالله).
The issues addressed are:
1. Why is Zakaat al-Fitr referred to with this name?
2. What is the amount of a Sa’a (measurement)?
3. What are the foodstuffs which are given as Zakaat?
4. Is it permissible to give the Zakaat al-Fitr as money?
5. Who is Zakaat al-Fitr given to?
6. Can the Zakaat al-Fitr be given to non-Muslims?
7. Is Zakaat al-Fitr to be paid on behalf of people who are mentally ill?
8. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of an old person who is senile?”
9. Is it permissible to send the Zakaat al-Fitr to another country?”
10. Is it permissible for a person to give the Zakaat on behalf of his siblings who are orphans?”
11. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of a maid?”
12. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of a fetus?”
13. When does giving Zakaat al-Fitr become obligatory?
14. When is Zakaat al-Fitr given?
15. Is it permissible to make up Zakaat al-Fitr?
16. Is it permissible to entrust someone to pay the Zakaat al-Fitr?”
17. For an individual who works in a foreign country, does he give the Zakaat al-Fitr in his country or the other (in which he works)? Also, is it permissible to give the Zakaat on behalf of his children in the country which he works?